mardi 2 octobre 2012

In praise of… Gillian Flynn

Sometimes you (I) read a book that makes your brain feel too small – in the best possible way.  A book that makes one marvel at the cleverness and aspire to do better, think more originally, try harder.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn is just such a book.  I’m afraid this is not going to be a very useful précis – just an enthusiastic recommendation with no explanation to back it up.  This is because it’s one of those books that, the less you know about it in advance, the better.  I don’t want to spoil it for you so all I will say is ‘keep your ears closed and read it immediately’.

I will also say that the woman is a genius and I will be surprised if I read a better book this year.

I was intrigued and beguiled and shocked and shaken – all those things one should be after reading such a great rollercoaster of a book.  So I immediately picked up her previous works – Sharp Objects and Dark Places.

I finished Sharp Objects last night and I was knocked sideways.   I still don’t think I have recovered fully this morning.  It wasn’t as fiendish as Gone Girl, in many ways, but I think it will stay with me for longer.  I am now, it is fair to say, mildly obsessed.

I picked up Dark Places last night but realised I couldn’t embark upon it so soon after the last.  So, at the time of writing, I am planning to start in earnest tonight.  You may not see me again for a while.  Wish me luck.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire