mercredi 30 septembre 2015

This Is England


The original film This is England came out in 2006.  I was 25; it was not long after I had moved to Brighton.  I saw it as soon as it came out, being a Shane Meadows fan after watching A Room For Romeo Brass (brilliant) and Dead Man’s Shoes (terrifying).

I loved it, but I’m sure I had no idea how attached to these characters I would become.  When the TV spin-off started a few years later – that’s when I fell truly in love.

By this point, like so many of us do, I feel as though those characters are my friends.  Nearly 10 years have passed.  They have grown up as I have.  We’ve all been through a lot (admittedly, I have not been through anything quite as traumatic as some of the characters have – thank gxx).

It sounds frivolous, but it’s funny how we can measure our own lives compared to those of fictional characters.  I remember so clearly what was going on in my life and who I was with when every new instalment of the series came out.

This Sunday night is the last ever instalment, apparently.  I hope it isn’t.  I want it to go on forever.

Last week, seeing Lol and Woody together after so much has happened, I cried and cried and cried.  ‘Christ, I love you; it’s ridiculous,’ he said.  After everything.  They look older, different.  I think of the ways I do, too.

I can’t wait for Sunday night.  I also kind of want it never to come.  I want them all to be OK; I don’t know if they will be.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire