vendredi 19 août 2011

Kardashian Krush

Most of the ‘trashy’ TV I like is generally hipster/ironic enough to be considered OK – you know, old episodes of Dallas, vintage Beverley Hills 90210, Saved By The Bell and the like; I own a video called ‘The Neighbours Wedding Collection’ (yup, the classic pairings of Scott and Charlene, Des and Daphne, and Madge and Harold all in one handy volume).

At the same time, I’ve never really been swept away by the tide of reality TV of semi-recent years.  Well, I’m as unscathed by it as anyone my age could be – I’ve never really watched Big Brother (except for one series during the summer of Helen and Paul, if I remember rightly)or any of those; I might watch a bit of X-Factor with a dose of tongue-in-cheek, and I do like anything that ends in the words Top Model.

However, this has changed of late.  It’s because of the Kardashians.

I don’t mind admitting it.  I love them.  I own a box set of Keeping Up… (seasons 1 – 4) plus a DVD of Kourtney and Khloe Take Miami.

Our shared love of all things Kardashian meant that my sister Katy, my cousin Caroline and I did some mammoth TV watching together on holiday.  This meant quite a bit of Eggheads, some Dragon’s Den (a new love of mine!)  and, brilliantly, some vintage Keeping Up….  Also, some Geordie Shore (which I had never previously heard of) – which I found weirdly fascinating and led us all to call things ‘mint’ a lot, and shout ‘in there like swimwear!’ at regular intervals.

I realised that, somewhere along the line, my love for the Kardashians has gone from being slightly sarcastic to totally sincere.  I have no problem with this, it must be said!  But it did make me wonder why this was.

Like most trash TV, and certainly all good soap operas, I think it’s the mixture of high glamour with universal, everyday things.  I am fascinated by the family’s luxury, A-list lifestyle, yet can relate to the relationships between the sisters that make the heart of the series.  Whether it’s Khloe and Kourtney play-fighting violently, Kim throwing one of her legendary strops, or all three of them ganging up on their mum, it’s stuff we’ve all done – just with way better clothes and more expertly-applied eye make-up.

I couldn’t help but laugh in the episode when Kim goes into a decline over her break-up with Reggie – Kris comes to her house to stage an intervention, saying ‘Kimmy – look at you, you’re making no effort with your appearance, this is what depressed people look like!’ – and of course she looked better than I do when I’m all dressed up to go out.  Still, one of the most appealing things to me about the Sisters Kardashian is that, while they’re full-volume glamorous and look amazing, none of them is startlingly, naturally beautiful (OK, except maybe Kim) or anywhere near fashion model-skinny – they are three good-looking girls who are making the absolute best of what they’ve got, and it works to stunning effect.

My favourite sister is Kourtney, probably because, like me, she’s the oldest and the meanest (although I have a soft spot for Khloe and especially Bruce, and a bit of a weird crush on Scott – seriously, I am so Team Douchelord, I would be devastated if he and Kourtney ever break up for good)!

So, hipsters and intellectual snobs, I don’t care what you think – the glamour, drama and, importantly, relationships of the Kardashians all make it my new TV favourite.


Seriously, tell me you don’t wanna be in their gang!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire