lundi 26 septembre 2011

School Rules

Just one of those arbitrary connections that I made from looking at my bookshelf and wondering what to pick up and reread for an hour this morning:

Some of my favourite adult books that are set in schools:
  • The Rehearsal by Eleanor Catton
  • The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark
  • Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
  • Notes on A Scandal by Zoe Heller

I just thought this was interesting, because when I think of school-set books, it's usual Mallory Towers, St Claire's or The Chalet School - you know the sort of thing.  That in itself is lovely, but I just happened to notice that it's not always the case.  Some very fine, often unsettling and very dark (not of these is a jolly schooldays romp, by any stretch oof the imagination) stories have been set in schools.  These could all probably be read by older teenagers, but are aimed primarily at adults.

I like making lists of things, however tenuous.  I am feeling disproportionately proud for having noticed this one!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire