samedi 17 mars 2012

Our bodies our selves

We all know I love Emma Forrest (my tastes and obsessions are SO predictable by now).  I am currently particularly interested in this essay that she wrote for Elle magazine.

It's an interesting topic, and almost exactly echoes a conversation that Lou and I were having the other day.

I am convinced that something happens to women's bodies in their early 30s; it really is like a second adolescence (and I expect there are more of those still to come).  My body has always been prone to doing things at strange times - true fact: I didn't get boobs until I was 22, when they sprung up literally overnight - but since I turned 30 a few months ago it has undergone a subtle but massive metamorphosis.  Despite the fact that I am still about the same weight, obviously the same height and the exact same dress size, my body seems entirely different.  Similar to how Emma Forrest has described in herself, it's like everything has lengthened just a tiny bit and it's made this weirdly huge difference in perception.  Likewise, Lou has always been a classic (but skinny) apple shape, and she has now started going in and out a bit in new places.

It's not bad - in fact, we were both blowing our own trumpets and confiding that we both feel hotter than ever before - but it is weird and takes some getting used to.

I think this is because - rightly or wrongly - we all DO build up our personalities, just a bit, around our body type.  We all have our 'thing', right?

Lou's the slim girl with the disproportionate boobs.  I'm all about the waist and the ribcage - although it's not the done thing now, there was barely a weekend day that went by between 1996 and 2002 when I wasn't showing my midriff.  Ali's all about the legs.  Katy has the world's most amazing bum (official).

It's weird when any of that changes, but it does, and that's a good thing.  Emma Forrest explains it better than I do.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire