samedi 10 mars 2012

Recent teen reads

I've been reading avidly of new YA releases at the moment.  You know, it's one of those things that I call 'research' like it's not fun.

There have been some really good 'uns of late.

Night School by C. J. Daugherty

This is an intriguing little read that I enjoyed - the first part in a trilogy, and I will definitely read the next installment.  It's about a girl called Allie, who keeps getting herself into trouble at her South London school, and so is sent to a mysterious boarding school in the country.  You know how I love a good school-set yarn, and I liked this one because it was spooky without veering into classic 'supernatural' territory and is genuinely twisty.  I would also like to add that it is being billed as 'The Secret History' for teens; which is cool but 'The Secret History came out when I was a teen - if memory serves, I think I was about 16, 17? - and I read it avidly and thoroughly enjoyed it.  So, I would really recommend 'The Secret History' whether you are a teen or not.

Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver
Another trilogy, and you may remember me enthusing all over the place about the first part, Delirium.  This is number two, following the feisty heroine Lena into 'the wilds' and beyond.  I'm certainly not the only one saying it but Lauren Oliver is a bit of a star - this is more original and well-written than any of its competition.  Highly recommended.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Another trilogy and another first parter.  I expect you know all about this one already - I was a bit late to the party but really wanted to read this before the film comes out.  I wasn't disappointed - it was a page-turner and I'll be reading the next two books pronto - but I would highly recommend reading the original book of Battle Royale, or watching the film (both of which were made about a decade earlier...).

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire